Friday, January 7, 2011

Hobby Shop Visit

I went to my long time local hobby shop yesterday and something happened that has never happened before. I was not excited by the sight of all the kits, even the new ones. I just stood there looking at the kits on the shelves and nothing. No desire to pick a kit off the shelf and check it out. I admit the new prices have turned me off to most of the kits but I always get interested in looking at the new issues and reissues to see what they have done to the parts and to check the box art out.. The only kit that interested me was the 1/8th Revell- Monogram '32 Ford with the new hot rod parts and the flathead motor. But that kit is so expensive it is more than my total hobby budget for the whole year. I ended up just buying some plastic strips for some frame projects I have on my bench. This is the first time in almost 50 years that a visit to a hobby shop has left me cold and un-interested. I think it has a lot to do with my frustration at not being able to get good paint jobs and all the un-finished projects, at least 50, some over 30 years old, that I have in my stash. I admit since my 2 recent heart attacks and recoveries that some parts of my life are just not that important anymore. I hope my hobbies are not part of that. I will just wait and not do anything rash and see what happens in the coming months. I have had slumps before but not this bad. Any advice or comments greatly welcomed. Patrick

Chet Miller Gerhard Mitter Stefano Modena Thomas Monarch

No comments:

Post a Comment